Weeknight orange chicken
This Orange Chicken recipe, made here with the last of my blood oranges, has been on repeat in our home lately. The sauce is the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and tangy and totally pops with orange flavor. Broccoli is a go-to veggie for us but any of your favorite veggies will work here. I hardly ever fry things but if you are up for frying the chicken first I’m sure it would be delicious! It’s such a satisfying weeknight dinner, you really can’t go wrong.
- 2 Zest of Oranges
- 1/2 c Orange Juice
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Honey
- 4 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Chili Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely minced
- 2 Tsp plus 2 Tbsp Cornstarch divided
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil divided
- 2 c Broccoli Florets
- 1 lb Boneless Chicken cut into small pieces
- In a mixing bowl, whisk orange zest, juice, ketchup, rice vinegar, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili sauce, garlic cloves and 2 tsp cornstarch together until smooth and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp oil. When oil is hot, add broccoli florets and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally until tender. Transfer to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix chicken pieces 2 Tbsp cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp oil in the same pan over medium heat. When oil is hot add the chicken and cook 6-8 minutes until browned and cooked through, stirring often and breaking up the pieces with a spoon as needed.
- When chicken is cooked, pour sauce into the pan and let it reduce and thicken until it coats the chicken. Stir in broccoli and serve.