The BEST Dairy Free Garlic and Herb Mashed Potatoes
Turkey is cool..but we all know Thanksgiving dinner is about the side dishes. There has to be some form of potatoes on the table no matter what, and these Dairy Free Garlic and Herb Mashed Potatoes are ready to be the star of the show. I use Yukon gold potatoes because I love the texture and flavor, but I imagine russet potatoes would work well too. The key to super creamy mashed potatoes without dairy is a combination of olive oil and the starchy cooking water from the potatoes. Similar to adding pasta water to a pasta dish, the cooking water adds flavor and improves the texture of the mashed potatoes, making them creamy and flavorful. Don’t skip the toasted garlic and herb topping, it turns these potatoes from a side dish to a show stopper!
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, 2 smashed and 2 finely minced
- Kosher Salt/Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c Olive Oil, divided
- 2 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, finely minced
- 2 tsp Fresh Rosemary Leaves, finely minced
- Add potatoes and the two smashed garlic cloves to a large pot, fill with water and add a tablespoon of salt. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Boil potatoes until very soft, about 10-15 minutes. Reserve one cup of the cooking water, then drain potatoes. Discard smashed garlic cloves and add the potatoes back into the pot.
- Add 1/4 c of olive oil and a few large splashes of cooking water and mash until smooth, adding an extra splash of cooking water as needed until potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Make the topping: Add remaining 1/4 c olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves. thyme leaves and rosemary leaves to a small pan and heat over medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes until garlic is lightly golden but not browned. Drizzle herb mixture over mashed potatoes to serve.